Back in June when they first announced their candidacies I optimistically posted 5 questions for the Democratic Party’s challengers to Caldwell’s incumbent mayor and council. Alas, like their 2 cohorts Messrs. Lace and Cole they maintained radio silence rather than engage in a dialog with a constituent.
But I recently noticed on their Facebook page how they’re promising to return phone calls and emails “immediately.” Hmm, said I, shall I try again? Yes! Yes I will.
So here goes.
- How will you meaningfully reduce the crushing property tax burden here in Caldwell? And how does your solution jive with Councilman Lace’s philosophical thought experiment espousing a local income tax for Caldwell? Is that something we should be looking forward to?
- Upon taking office Governor Murphy immediately raised the sales tax, the income tax, corporate taxes, and the gas tax. And then he said he’s “not done raising taxes yet.” Do you support all these new taxes? How much taxation is enough?
- Do you support Governor Murphy’s initiative to make New Jersey a so-called “sanctuary state,” and if elected will you introduce an ordinance to make Caldwell a “sanctuary city?”
- Do you approve of the CWCBOE’s proposal to spend $600,000 or more every year to implement Full Day Kindergarten? Do you approve of Governor Murphy’s proposed $500 million dollar school bond issue?
- Our town currently has two “vape” shops, conveniently located across the street from each of our Catholic schools (Trinity and The Mount). If Governor Murphy legalizes recreational marijuana these shops will undoubtedly start selling dope almost immediately, well within the perimeters of our “drug free school zones.” Will you commit to banning the sale of marijuana in Caldwell as well as toward encouraging these existing shops to relocate elsewhere?
And there you go folks. Please respond. Thanks.